Wednesday, September 5, 2007

What Is The Navy Coming To?

The commanding officer of the USS Arleigh Burke (DDG 51), E. J. McClure, was recently relieved of command for "loss of confidence in her ability to command." That's right — her. What's the matter with the Navy. Aren't there enough real men to command these ships?

It was a sad day, IMHO, when women were allowed on combatant ships. I am glad I didn't have to serve alongside them. I have no problem with women serving in our armed forces. Just keep them off the ship I'm on.

Yeah, I'm not being PC. I hate being PC. Why do we have to suppress our opinions to please a bunch of lily-livered men who haven't got enough manhood to tell the women when enough is enough? Women do not belong in combat. Period! Women do not belong on combat ships. Period! Women are not warriors. Oh, I forgot about the Amazons. Well, let them be warriors if they are willing to give up a breast like the Amazons did.

I have nothing against E. J. McClure. From what I have read she is an outstanding officer. There's no doubt in my mind that she is not fully capable of commanding a line ship. My issue is that she shouldn't be.

So I'm a relic. Ask me if I care. I was a knuckle-dragging size 2 hat Torpedoman's Mate and proud of it. That was until I found out they now have skirts as torpedomen.

I don't go along with the women's lib thing. There are things men should be doing and there are things that women should be doing. And there are things that both can be doing.

I can remember the first time I went into a barbershop and saw a woman barber. I waited until the male barber finished his customer. No way was I going to allow a woman to cut my hair. Well, as it turns out, women are just as good as (if not a whole lot better than) male barbers. Since that initial shocked reaction I have had my hair cut many times by women. So, you see, I am not blindly anti-woman and I can change my mind.

I once had a female hard-working marine machinist partner that was just as good as any man marine machinist that I have met. She could do everything I could do and probably a bit more. She owned her own D-7 Caterpillar tractor and repaired and maintained it herself. But she paid a price for working in a man's world — she lost her femininity.

The pro-women element can argue all they want. They will never convince me that it is right and proper for a woman to command a warship. They will never convince me that it is right and proper for women to be in combat.

A woman soldier was recently laid to rest and the media pundits made such a big deal over this young woman's tragic death. It is tragic and I feel for the family. The tragedy is that it did not have and should not have had to happen. However, she chose to put herself in harm's way, to take on a role that men have been more-than-willing to fill for eons. She did what was not necessary nor expedient. Unfortunately we cannot have it both ways. You cannot have women exposed to combat and not expect them to be killed.

Some think the Navy brass relieving Captain McClure for grounding her ship was harsh. It was. She may not have been the one that made the mistake, but she was in command and it is the captain's responsibility to stay afloat. Captain McClure has just joined the ranks of many others who have had the misfortune to lose their commands for running their ships aground. Welcome to a man's world!

No comments: