Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Red Bull Energy Drink


I was given a can of Red Bull a few weeks ago. I'm not sure why I was given it. Perhaps my benefactor thought I was a little drained. I have seen others drinking Red Bull and had often wondered what it was. I thought maybe it was a malt liquor or some other intoxicating beverage. It is neither.

I placed the can in the refrigerator and tried to forget about it. Did I really want to drink it? It looked suspicious. The can was smaller than that of a 12 oz. soda pop so it couldn't be a soft drink. One day I picked it up and noticed the small print that said "Energy Drink." Hmmn, so that's what it is. I returned it to its place in the refrigerator.

Several times over the next weeks my wife would ask, "Have you drunk that energy drink yet?" And my answer was always, "No." Every now and then I'd pick the can up, look it over, and set it back down.

"What did it taste like?" I asked myself. "Have you ever heard anybody say they liked this stuff?" I'd continue in my mental conversation.

I finally opened the can. With great deliberation I poured the nectar into a glass. In a different glass container it would easily have been mistaken for a urine sample. Did I really want to drink this? I picked the glass up and turned it slowly in my hand, examining the contents for anything suspicious. Bringing it to my nose, I sniffed it gently. I took a sip. It was carbonated. It tasted like medicine. I tried to analyze the flavor and finally concluded it came in somewhere as a cross between Alka Seltzer Plus and Gatorade.

I do not believe any claims were made about the taste but it is supposed to be an energy drink. It didn't do anything for me — at least it had no noticeable effect. Oh well, it didn't cost me anything and didn't hurt me. That's a plus. However, it definitely will not be on my grocery list.

No comments: