Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Anonymous Comments

Every once-in-a-while I receive an anonymous comment. I read and consider all the comments I receive, whether signed or anonymous. Some of the anonymous comments are favorable, some are not. So far, none have been nasty. I try to consider the merits of each comment, especially those from people that disagree with me.

I often wonder why someone would post an anonymous comment. I know newspapers usually will not publish anonymous letters to the editor and I have not made it my practice to do so, either. There are a number of valid reasons to hide behind anonymity.

The first reason that comes to mind is that perhaps the commenter is gun shy. Even the most nicely worded contrary opinion can, in some, evoke distressing emotions including rage — and nobody wants to be on the receiving end of that.

Another reason one may post anonymously is I may know them. The blogosphere is huge and the likelihood of this may be remote. I do, however, know some of my readers. Maybe they do not want to be personally associated with any umbrage taken at their responses to my posts. Or maybe they live close by and don't want a midnight visit.

Anonymous posters are less likely to end up with their e-mail address added to spam lists. That's a good reason to not reveal who you are.

Well, anonymous posters, I welcome your comments. Those things that I find hard to swallow I will still consider and make corrections as needed. Some remarks I will relegate to the “everyone is entitled to their opinion” pile. The good things I don’t take all that seriously, either. I don’t want to get too big a head. I am glad you read my entries and if I excite you to writing, I know at least that someone is thinking about the things that I’ve been thinking.

No comments: